You are what you digest and absorb:
The Intestinal Flora
'You are what you eat' some say. Well not so fast, 'you are what you digest and absorb' others will argue. You could be eating the healthiest foods in the world, but without the ability to properly digest and absorb them, you will never experience all the health benefits they are supposed to yield. The health of your gastrointestinal tract is the “engine” of your system and a core component to your overall health. Without proper digestion and absorption, a domino effect of health challenges such as diarrhea or constipation can occur, and can later lead to inflammation, obesity, immune challenges like allergies and possibly even cancer among other conditions.
Factors that challenge GI function
In addition to our dietary habits, digestion and absorption are also negatively impacted by lifestyle stresses and environmental factors. Just one or two generations ago we did not use antibiotics for every cold, UTI, or to prevent acne. Farmers did not inject antibiotics into cattle or chickens and vegetables were not sprayed with pesticides that kill microbes. These agricultural "improvements" represent additional challenges to our gastrointestinal system and can contribute towards an unbalanced digestive flora.
Laying the foundation for a healthy body
The word Probiotic consists of the preposition pro (for) and the greek word bios (life). A huge part of your immune system rests in your gut. Over 100 trillion microbes live in your GI tract and work to ensure normal gastrointestinal function, systemic metabolism and immune function.
Probiotics are often recommended as especially beneficial for those with gastrointestinal concerns, those who are under stress and travel often, and those who wish to maximize their immune defenses for good health. Healthy gastrointestinal function is absolutely essential to vitality and immune health.
Your intestinal health affects many seemingly unrelated areas of your body:
• Nutrient assimilation, including calcium
• Synthesizing Vitamin K and B Vitamins
• Immune defense, retarding yeast infection
• Defending against acne, eczema, skin and foot fungus
• Tissue development
• Helping avoid constipation or diarrhea
• Producing lactase, an enzyme that helps digest dairy proteins such as lactose
• Controlling the pH or acidity-alkaline levels in the intestines
Scientists have connected the detoxification of the intestinal tract with increased overall health, energy, beautiful skin and even weight loss. For example, they injected the intestinal flora from “fat mice” into thin mice, and they “got fat”. We are just beginning to understand the importance of our intestinal flora in its entirety.
Prebiotics - The Rejuvenetics Advantage
Rejuvenetics is proud to introduce ProBioticsXL™, it is an advanced probiotic formula that provides 10 billion healthy bacteria for overall wellness. However Rejuventics did not stop there, ProBioticsXL™ also contains FOS (fructooligosacharides), which acts as a Prebiotic type of fiber to help stimulate the growth of Bifidobacteria-friendly bacteria and helps defend them against possible breakdown by stomach acids.
Many species of microbes have been studied and proven beneficial. For example, Bifidobacterium longum makes up 90% of total GI bacteria in breast-fed infants. It has proven to help support healthy immune function, activating IgA, NK cells and neutrophils, as well as balancing Th1 and Th2 immune activity, which aids in protecting the body’s natural defenses against bacterial infections. It also has been shown to enhance mucosal barrier function in patients, which is vital to a healthy, functioning gastrointestinal tract.
Probiotics found in ProBioticsXL
• L.acidophilus DDS-1 is the most proven probiotic strain in the world and very beneficial to the immune system, skin, digestion, and the production of B vitamins. • B. longum & B. bifidum promote good digestion, boosts the immune system, and produces lactic and acetic acid that control intestinal pH.
• B. lactis stimulates the immune response. It helps to relieve constipation and prevents diarrhea, especially in children. It also has the ability to decrease chronic inflammation of the sigmoid colon.